We hope that you have been enjoying your courses and life so far at UW and in Seattle. As you are more introduced to American cultures during your study at UW, we want to introduce some April holidays and tell you how you can get involved!
Date: Sunday, April 16, 2017.
WHAT IS IT? Easter starts as a Christian holiday to celebrate the resurrection of Jesus from the dead. It is also now celebrated around the world to welcome the spring. The celebration always involves different activities with Easter bunny, Easter eggs, and other Springtime creatures and themes.
HOW TO GET INVOLVED?
- “Beat the Bunny 5K Run & Walk” with your friends on Saturday, April 8th, 10am at Redmond Central Connector Park. Adults who are 15 or older need to pay $20
- “2017 Bunny Party” on Saturday, April 8th, 11am to 6pm at Ugly Baby and La Ru (1430 Western Ave, Seattle). This is an egg hunt activity down Western Avenue. You can participate in sidewalk art, color pages, and pet bunnies. Cost: $5 to $10.
2. EARTH DAY
Date: Saturday, April 22, 2017
WHAT IS IT? Earth Day is an annual event celebrated around the world to demonstrate support for environmental protection. In 1968, Morton Hilbert and the U.S. Public Health Services organized an environmental conference for students to hear from scientists about the effects of environmental degradation on human health. This was the beginning of Earth Day.
HOW TO GET INVOLVED?
- “RainWise 101 Workshop” on April 17, 2017 at 6-7:30pm at Montlake Library, 2401 24th Ave E, Seattle WA 98112. At this free workshop, you will learn about applying for a rebate from Seattle Public Utilities and King County for up to 100 percent of the cost of your rain garden or cistern.
- “Wild and Scenic Film Festival” on April 20, 2017 at 5:30pm at 511 Queen Anne Ave N, Seattle, WA. You can enjoy multiple film sessions, happy hour, and a drawing activity at the Wild and Scenic Film Festival, featuring environmental and adventure films (Cost is $30).
- You can find more interesting activities here
3. ARBOR DAY
Date: Friday, April 28, 2017
WHAT IS IT? Arbor Day is a holiday in which people are encouraged to plant and care for trees. Lots of countries around the world are celebrating this holiday to educate about the importance of trees.
HOW TO GET INVOLVED
- Plant a tree!!! You can go on Seattle.gov for instructions on how to start planting a tree.
Besides these well-known April holidays, there are some “weird” and interesting holidays.
4. National Siblings Day
Date: Monday, April 10, 2017
WHAT IS IT? It is a holiday recognized annually in some parts of the United States to honor the relationship of siblings.
5. Blah Blah Blah Day
Date: Monday, April 17, 2017
WHAT IS IT? It is a day to do all the things everyone has been nagging you about!
For the complete April holiday calendar, check it out here. This calendar also includes some holidays in other countries.
Cover Photo: Credit to Dennis Wise.